Sunday, June 2, 2013

Frumpy Dress Refashion

I'm seriously a goofball. I bought a dress at the Goodwill Clearance Center (let's just go with GCC from now on, okay?) and I was so stinkin' excited to get to ginghering that I forgot to take a before picture! 

So. Frustrating. ....grrr...

I mean, I was half way lopping off the top of the dress before my brain whispered "Camera. Pictures." 

So, yeah...sorry for the really 'awesome' before shot. Eesh...

Frumptastic Dress. Pretty print and the rayon feels so good!

Now, looking closely, you see that the entire top of the dress, sans the sleeves is smocked. Smocking is cute for babies not dresses. But I don't care because this is the Dress of Christmas Past. It'll just keep giving and giving. Just you wait and see. 


The top might not be working for this dress but I'm still going to hold onto it- it's going into my stash!
What I have planned for this dress is a simple skirt from the bottom part of the dress. So I just measured a skirt that I already have and just increased it for a waist band. Easy right? It is because I'm using the original hem! So smart :)

For the waist band, I first turned down a half inch of material and ironed it down. Don't ask me why I pinned it when I still had to fold and press again. (I'm telling you- super goofy!)



Next, I folded down an inch and pressed again- this time pinning for reals yo. 


Sew it up and leave a gap for the elastic. 


Weave the elastic all the way through (I used 3/4" cause I already had it!)



Pin together and sew. 

Then open and I like to sew the flaps down so as to not cause any weird bumps.
Sew the rest of the waist band closed. 


And wear...

wedges are Vince Camuto

This skirt is so roomy and comfy that I know I'll be wearing this a lot this summer. Gah! Can't wait! :)

Hugs, 

A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment